EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF DURANGO NATURE STUDIES (DNS)
The Executive Director is the key management leader of Durango Nature Studies. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, the programs, and strategic vision of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach.
The Executive Director reports directly to the Board of Directors. There are currently 11 Board Members of diverse background and experiences from the community serving the organization.
The Executive Director will be responsible for managing the staff and the volunteers of the organization. There are currently 4 full time equivalents on staff and as many as two interns working in the organization throughout the year.
1) Board Governance: Works with board in order to fulfill the organization mission. Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
2) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach
3) Financial Performance and Viability: Maintains and develops resources sufficient to ensure
the financial health of the organization.
- – Responsible for the fiscal integrity of DNS, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and accurate monthly financial statements
- – Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position
- – Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support Durango Nature Studies’ mission
- – Responsible for grant writing, membership generation, and developing corporate relationships to further the fundraising plan
4) Community Image: Responsible for the enhancement of DNS’s image by being active and visible in the community.
- – Responsible for collaboration with other organizations and school districts
- – Responsible for conveying positive outreach to parents and community members
- – Responsible for communicating through monthly organizational emails and seasonal newsletters
- – Responsible for website maintenance and oversite
- – Responsible for a monthly DNS column in the Durango Herald
5) Organization Operations: Responsible effective administration of the DNS operations.
- – Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff
- – Responsible for signing all notes, agreements made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
- – Responsible for maintaining organizational databases and systems for tracking participants, program fees, and members
6) Event Management: Responsible for maintaining and improving community events.
Currently, these include the organization’s:
- – Backcountry Film Festival
- – Earth Day Festival and 5k
- – Summer’s End Music Festival
- – Mountain Film on Tour
- – Future Donor Events
- – A bachelor’s degree
- – Five or more years of senior nonprofit management experience
- – Solid, hands-on, financial management skills, including budget preparation, financial analysis, and financial reporting
- – Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development, and task facilitation
- – Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with a team of staff members
- – Ability to convey a vision of DNS’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers and donors utilizing strong speaking and written skills
- – Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
- – Skills to collaborate with and motivate board members and other volunteers
- – A love of nature
- – Knowledge of or experience teaching in the outdoors and/or a nature center
Applications received before April 21, 2017 will receive full consideration. The position will be open until it is filled. The position begins on, or around, June 12, 2017.
Email resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and 3 references to the Executive Director Search Committee at EDsearch@durangonaturestudies.org.