2019 Earth Day Festival
THANK YOU, DURANGO!
Despite coinciding with Easter Sunday, Durangoans showed their love for our planet and our town, with more than 60 individuals joining in the litter clean up and countless others learning about ways they can love our planet through partnering with environmental organizations in the region. We thank all who took the time to help us plan, who sponsored the event (see below), and for those of you who joined in the celebration!
Here’s a recap of events:
Date: Sunday, April 21, 2019
Place: Rotary Park
Time: Noon to 4:00pm; Kayak racers depart for put-in at ~3:30pm and marchers head toward the Durango Public Library at 3:30, too.
Theme: Loving My Planet a Whole Awful Lot!
FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY!
– Live music by the Pete Giuliani Band
– Crafts, activities, and poster-making geared toward families.
– Family parade from Rotary Park to the Library
– Kayak races sponsored by Four Corners River Sports.
– Booths highlighting environmental organizations and service providers, including all of our co-hosts as well as SASCO, 4CORE, Environment Colorado, SJMA, MSI, Durango Farmer’s Market, Free Forest School of Durango, and others.
– A “Litter Hunt” for families and teams from 12:00 to 1:00pm. Gifts provided to those who helped clean up the Animas River Trail.
– While we didn’t host the traditional Earth Day 5k in 2019, we added “plogging” as part of our litter clean-up along the Animas River Trail!
– Zuberfizz and Cream Bean Berry partnered with us to provide root beer floats (served with paper cups and wooden spoons).
– We had Manna Soup Kitchen’s famous cookies as a way to support their Social Enterprise Program.
THANK YOU TO OUR 2019 COHOSTS and EVENT SPONSORS: